My 30th birthday is looming, just over 3 months away. I’ve already had to come to terms with gray hair, settling down, being responsible…so it’s not the idea of another year older that bothers me. I’m got a heightened sense of awareness about the idea of turning 30 because this is the year that my husband and I have decided we want to start having kids. So, it’s not that I’m getting older…it’s that my life will be changing drastically over the coming year or so…give or take…who knows how much time I have left.
I tell my husband all the time, that even when we have kids, we’ll still get to do the things we enjoy. Going out, working on personal projects, spending quiet time with each other. I believe all of these things to be true, but I’m also profoundly aware of the limitations that children will bring to our lives. Money, time, and freedom will all be shared with a little soul more important than our own.
I’ve already made the commitment to take a big, epic trip, before even trying to get pregnant. My first destination is Angel Canyon, Utah. I know what you’re thinking-doesn’t “big, epic” describe ascending Mt. Kilimanjaro or something? Well, for the mid-western girl that’s never been to a city bigger than Chicago, a trip most of the way across country, to see the canyons, is pretty big, epic,
The second trip in the works is to Europe…ideally England, Scotland and perhaps a detour to the motherland of Switzerland…more on that big, epic idea later.
But, neither of those trips are an option until a break in our class schedules, so I’ve got nothing but time to sit and stalk our destinations via google earth.
But, back to the dirty-thirty…
I was perusing some WordPress tags, and came across My Kids are Stronger than Me, a blog where Jim chronicles his bucket list of 30 before 30. Turns out he’s not the only one. Seems like most of these folks started more than 90 days out though…or 94 as in my case.
So, I woke up this morning, thinking I needed to complete a 30 by 30…just making the list is a task in and of itself…how about I go for quality over quantity.
1. run 50 miles. (not in a row! are you nuts! no, just 50 total…)
2. take more pictures with new fancy camera, all in new places. print 5 of them, and frame and hang at least 1.
3. knock down the best jammer on my derby team. (not naming names-she can’t know I’m gunning for her.)
4. drop 2 inches off the tummy, to be ready to wear a bikini for the first time ever (at 30!). ECE is coming in June, and I need to be ready for the pool. I’m big all over, but my mid-section is the area that is dangerously fatty. This goal seems like it should be easy enough, considering goal #1. Stick to the workouts, keep eating around 1500 calories/day…should be ok, right? (Famous fat last words…) Starting measurements 39 inches at the belly button. (This is why I’m blogging anonymously. How do you like them apples, interwebs?)
5. Write 4 short stories, fiction or non-fiction. That’s no small task, considering I’m the one making myself write them-they’re not assignments or deadlined. It’s a self-inflicted deadline.
P.S. I refuse to refer to this list as a bucket list. First of all, the term “bucket” also means one’s buttocks, according to my Polish upbringing. Secondly, the phrase just makes me think of a bucket full of golf balls. Who wants a list of balls? No, thank you.